Requesting This Course:
- This course is being offered at the following upcoming Regional Training. Click on the city name for further information and registration. San Francisco
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Michal Lesniak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
Crisis Intervention is NOT psychotherapy; rather, it is a specialized acute emergency mental health intervention which requires specialized training. As physical first aid is to surgery, crisis intervention is to psychotherapy. Thus, crisis intervention is sometimes called “emotional first aid”. This program is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of, and a specific protocol for, individual crisis intervention.This course is designed for anyone who desires to increase their knowledge of individual (one-on-one) crisis intervention techniques in the fields of Business & Industry, Crisis Intervention, Disaster Response, Education, Emergency Services, Employee Assistance, Healthcare, Homeland Security, Mental Health, Military, Spiritual Care, and Traumatic Stress.
- Psychological crisis and psychological crisis intervention
- Resistance, resiliency, recovery continuum
- Critical incident stress management
- Evidence-based practice
- Basic crisis communication techniques
- Common psychological and behavioral crisis reactions
- Putative and empirically-derived mechanisms
- SAFER-Revised model
- Suicide intervention
- Risks of iatrogenic “harm”
Completion of “Assisting Individuals in Crisis” and receipt of a certificate indicating full attendance (13 Contact Hours) qualifies as a class in ICISF’s Certificate of Specialized Training Program.
Continuing Education Information
Two-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
13 Contact Hours; 13 PDHs for EAPs; 13 CE Credits for National Certified Addiction Counselors OR 1.3 General CEUs from UMBC
Continuing education information listed is only applicable when attending an ICISF Regional Training.